Monday, May 2, 2011

Feds may start to collect on defaulted loans and Alan Collinge vs C. Cryn Johansen

As news of Osama bin Laden's death dominates the news, here's a story that has been sneaked in by USA Today. And if anyone out there has their property being liened or seized by the Department of Education, please contact Alan Collinge immediately. Always remember, he can be reached through the Student Loan Justice website.

This is an article that is worth reading. I found it very interesting.

And finally, this is Alan Collinge's response to C. Cryn Johansen's AEM blog that may have been deleted:

My second response:

Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

My email was down for two days...I learned only today about Cryn apparently ending the group she had going there...I assume this is what you were refering to. Just so you know, I wrote to Cryn, but I do not think she will post my comments on her blog. But here is what I wrote. I want to be clear that I support anyone truly fighting for the interests of the students, and there are very few shortcomings that I can't work with. Please read my comments below so that you can understand exactly the position I take with Cryn...

-------------------------------------------What I tried to post on the AEM blog:

Cryn, as a matter of policy, I never had any disagreements with you. I did, however, find it incredibly weird, and offputting that you never came around to stating a position on the return of bankruptcy protections to federal student loans. And you know that I tried quite hard to understand your position on this, pro, con, or otherwise. A simple, straight answer would have helped me understand where you were coming from way back then, but you never came around to do that.

So that was weird and even troubling, but I chalked it up to typical ivy league snobbery, which I am very used to at this point. Beyond that, you didn't really say anything that offended me, etc as far as policy. You were on the right side of the gainful employment debate...but I think that debate is silly, take no strong position either way. You were also right to bash Rev. Jackson, I hate to say (because his group and ours are on the same page in many other ways), and I said as much at the time...But again, these are issues I really don't take a strong interest in, so if you were being attacked on policy stands, it wasn't from me or anyone in my group.

What did cause me to make negative public comments about you was your working for a lending company, Edulender. This is a conflict that unfortunately would take anyone out of the game, and I made similar comments to the borrower who went from being featured nationally about her debt to working for them. So don't take it personally. When you work for people who absolutely don't want to see any meaningful changes in the lending system, and who will work hard to make sure that the most critical problems are neglected, this is a clear and obvious conflict around which there is no getting.

Even the established student advocates who have clearly failed students so badly (ie NCLC, the USPIRG, TICAS, et al) wouldn't dare take money from lenders...and they are almost completely incapable of actually fighting for students even so, so you see my point.

I do empathize with the lack of funding, but that is a part of this struggle that only the borrowers can fix, unfortunately. I nearly made the mistake years ago of getting funding from guarantors to run a counseling program. I backed out before that happened, but I do understand the temptation.

So if any of your comments were directed towards me (and I hope that they were not), they are misguided, because no one MORE than me wants good people fighting squarely for the interests of the students, and I support anyone who does so. I would still like to know what the deal was with that bankruptcy question...did you ever come to a position? Anyhow...


To "Anonymous": I don't understand why you are criticising Nando for his comments at the forum. While I wasn't there I understand that Nando rightfully pointed out egregious and disingenuous fundraising, and spending by a law school. Why is this counterproductive? Why is pointing out this, and a huge number of similar examples of out-of-control spending not worthwhile? I do not understand this comment.




That is all for now. And please remember, donate to the cause because Student Loan Justice needs as much support as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment