Saturday, August 1, 2009

So who am I? I'm a guy who should have waited.

I'm just a guy who has made several mistakes throughout his life. I'm a guy who didn't carefully plan out his life. Therefore, I'm a guy who has committed Sallie Mae Suicide by his twenties.

Like many, I didn't know who I wanted to be or what I wanted to do after high school. Initially, I had thought about becoming a history teacher but I made the mistake of listening to an adult who told me it would be an unhappy career choice and I'd make peanuts. That was mistake #1, if you really want something in life, don't ever let anyone tell you different. You get bad feedback from one man, don't take his word for it and just move onto something else. I wish I could go back to 1999 and tell my 17 year-old self to not give up on a dream so early.
Other than that, I didn't try hard enough in high school. I hated math and feared regular colleges and universities would drown me in useless math classes. Therefore, I didn't give serious thought about cheap state schools.
Instead, on a major gamble, I decided I wanted art.
Now, there is nothing wrong with art. Art students can go on to places like Pixar, Dreamworks or graphic design firms and other places. I'm not saying, don't pick art as a higher educational major. Just don't pick art or any other creative field IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU WANT TO BE YET!
I was an idiot into believing that the best art education would come from a $20,000 art school and knowing full well I was iffy on my choice.
Again, not saying don't go to a super expensive art school, I'm saying don't go to a super expensive art school with doubts!

I regret jumping into an art school without going through a community college first. I wish I had just gone to a community college and taken regular art classes before making any final decisions. I believe that's why community colleges exist. So you have 2 years to really decide where you want to go.

And there is nothing to be ashamed of if you decide to go to a local community college after high school instead of the big university. Both use the same text books.

And there is nothing to be ashamed of during your senior year, as you see other kids brag about acceptance letters while you either didn't get in/didn't apply. In those days, all you have is time.

Me, I'm going on 28. Time is not a luxury for me.
Meanwhile, I have some friends who will be college freshmen at 23. No shame. In fact, probably smarter.
Professors enjoy older students since they will take their educational experiences much more seriously than most kids right out of high school.

I'd give anything to be a 28 year-old college freshmen.

Unfortunately, I did go to an art school without full faith in what I was doing. And mistake #2 was, when I wanted to leave the school, some artist friends said I wasn't trying hard enough, therefore, I made the mistake of going against my instincts and stayed in courses I wasn't truly happy with.

Although before settling for the expensive art school, there was another "institution of the arts" that I will not name...when I had walked into the financial aid office...almost immediately, they shoved Sallie Mae loan applications in front of my face. "Without Sallie Mae, you won't get your art degree."

Now I see where those "Kickbacks" came in.

The first time around, I had been smart and walked away.

*sigh...unfortunately, I wasn't smart the second time. Even my mother told me it wasn't a good idea, but I wasn't listening.
I was young. Naive. I didn't even read the fine print on the Promissory Note. I just wanted to get into the art school and have proof I was doing something with my life.
I wanted to show the kids who went to State schools that I was able to get into a private art school.

Sadly, my mother cosigned the Sallie Mae Suicidal note with me.

The Lesson for those reading this...Don't ever jump into something you're not 100% sure on. And especially don't jump in when Sallie Mae is involved.
True, mistakes have to be made and people need to learn from them. However, any errors with Sallie Mae...and it won't be a mistake...it'll be a Bear trap.

So...take some time to really learn more about who you are and what you want...The race of life is long...and in the end, it's only with yourself. Don't make the mistake of having Sallie Mae trip you up on the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment